The Jesus Chapel
This Chapel was formerly dedicated to St. Catherine, one of Henley’s patron Saints. Until the 15th Century, when the chapel was enlarged to the south, it was only about 3.5 metres wide – the large pillar at the back of the chapel next to the font stands on the original foundations of the wall, and the wall at the west end, where the crèche is currently found, is the last remnant of that original south wall of the church. The East window of the Chapel depicts the Four Gospel Evangelists – St Matthew, St Mark, St Luke and St John, and is set in a late 16th/17th century perpendicular style stone frame. It was designed and installed by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake, who also executed the main East window, and was inserted here in about 1884. Behind the altar, and hidden by it, there is a plaque commemorating the rebuilding of this aisle in 1789. The altar itself has a red silk damask frontal and velvet superfrontal, which dates from the mid 19th century. The Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court restored the frontal and superfrontal in 2014 in memory of Ellen Buckland, a generous benefactor to the church, and an accomplished seamstress. An embroidered label on the reverse of the frontal records ‘In gratitude to Ellen Buckland. 1919-2013’. The work was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Ebbsfleet in October 2014. Miss Buckland’s ashes are interred in the churchyard. Note too the memorial over the South Door to French General Charles Dumouriez – the long Latin inscription records details of his life. He lived and died nearby at Turville Park.